Thursday, June 14, 2012

Grey Days

Oh London, why do you rain so much? I returned from Bermuda to a VERY grey, wet and freezing London, more November than mid June. So to keep my post-paradise spirits up I have been drawing on all the inspiration I gathered over the last couple of weeks. Today I was experimenting with a slight departure from my usual style in something that I've been wanting to paint for ages - people in the water. So, still seascapes but with a human element introduced below, above or on the surface of the water. I took the opportunity to take lots of photos one day when we were on a boat and incredibly, the water is so clear and shallow reefs so abundant in Bermuda that even though we were over 4 miles off shore and it was still a light turquoise blue. I had a friend take some photos for me whilst I swam under water and here is my first experimental painting. Painting the waters rippling surface is so hard to capture but I'm really excited with the results!


No comments:

Post a Comment